Sunday, July 26, 2015

TIA 2015 - Technology in Education

TIA 2015 - Technology in Education



Every year, Denton ISD in Texas organizes this great event called TIA (Technology in Action). It seems that every year this event gets bigger and bigger and bigger. It is so amazing to see where education has gotten. I remember, back in my days (sniff!) my teachers used a chalk board in all their lessons, and when dry erase boards where first introduced into my school, it was just so amazing for us students to be able to see our teachers writing on the board with different color markers. Now I think about it and it brings a smile into my face. What would my students think if I show up to my first day of school with a chalk in my hands? 



TIA makes me feel so proud of being an educator, educators catching up with all the science and technology out there makes us an important foundation for our future leaders. Learning and being able to apply these ideas into our classrooms is amazing! I truly feel that planting the seed of love for learning and education is the best thing we can give to our students. 

Networking with other teachers is also another reason why I love TIA. I get to learn from others and I also get to share my experiences with them. I always learn something new from every teacher I network with. This year I got to meet Randy Rodgers (and I am not talking about the band lol), @rrodgers is an amazing educator who is implementing Makey Makey, Blueberry Pie, Little Bits, Scratch and other devices that promote students creativity. Not only being limited to be the consumers of applications and technology, but create your own technology, leads to an infinite number of possibilities. 
I wish I had at least the basic knowledge to be able to implement this new concept (new to me) in my classroom, AND this is another reason why I like attending TIA, our community is always willing to share and help, and I know, once I set up my mind into it, I will be able to get guidance and help from some other educators who are happy and willing to share their knowledge. Don't be afraid of technology, just give it a try, and once you do it, you will love it and at the same time, your students will love you!



When I looked at the schedule, I realized there is so much for me to learn and all of a sudden I felt overwhelmed, and I was afraid of falling behind in this rush towards technology. So many apps to choose from, so many websites, so many new technology developments that I know my students would benefit from. Then I remembered what my principal always tells us "how do you eat an elephant?: One bite at the time." I am going to choose certain applications and websites that I know I will feel comfortable using and in the meantime, I will try to learn more about the different uses of Makey Makey and Blueberry pie and gradually introduce it to my students.

Just don't feel afraid of technology, we do not have to know everything about it, and if we get stuck in the middle of a lesson due to technical difficulties, do not worry!  I am sure you have at least a couple of technology gurus in your classroom, they are always happy to help!


If you do not know what TIA is, I suggest you take a look at and try to come join us next summer. Our head of technology  Dwight Goodwin and his team are amazing! they have already scheduled the 2016 TIA event. Follow him on @LoneStarTIA to stay updated in any upcoming technology events at Denton ISD.

















No comments:

Post a Comment